Friday, December 6, 2013

Quiet Time

I was an only child for 6 years before my sister came into the world. I was the oldest, the first born and my mom had lots of energy and poured a lot into me. One of the things that I remember is my mom putting an emphasis on "Quiet Time".
What is quiet time, you ask? Quiet time is a period where you sit down and "calm your nerves", it involves no use of electronic devices and you sit and reflect. When I was younger, I used to use my quiet time to read. As I am getting older, I use my quiet time for silence. In the morning, I give thanks for another day and proceed to get dressed for work in silence. I enjoy my solitude. I think so much clearer and while I am not a grumpy person, there is something about clearing my mind in silence to get ready for a busy, loud day.
Quiet time was not a punishment for me. It just calmed me and gave me an opportunity to read (which I loved to do). As an adult, I voluntarily participate in quiet time and would encourage you to do the same as well. I cannot tell you how many times I have been stressed and I just gave myself a prescription of quiet time to gather my thoughts. Quiet time can take place inside or outside, the only rule is to avoid distraction.
Quiet time also gives you an opportunity to let God speak to you. Quiet time is an open door to hearing his voice. I appreciate my quiet time because it has been a peacemaker amongst confusion in my life. I appreciate my mom for implementing quiet time at such a young age for me. Although quiet time may have began as a time for HER to get some peace with a busy child, it has been my peace in my busy life.
So, tell me... Do you participate in "Quiet Time" in your daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment